19/04/2015

#poem #poetry #amwriting #sketchbook #climbing #framed

climbing framed

the playground today was full of unsuitable parents
attack pets ringed the railings
and boys with 'that' haircut - eyes
unstimulated - with a wild violent gleam
not unlike that seen in history books
- pot bellied - in famine - violently desperate

I'm sure my kids could have coped
in this world of sports leisurewear and tattoos
but I couldn't - call it guilt or breeding
it's up to you - I'd rather take them to the woods
for less structured fun - where they can climb
and run - scrape their knees - sing
in the echo of trees - fill their pockets with pinecones
and jump across the streams

and it's not that I don't drink - or think
I'm better than to rub shoulders - just
that I think my kids are

No comments:

Post a Comment