01/04/2015

#poem #poetry #amwriting #sketchbook

at the back of my mother's sideboard I find small book
containing idealised portraits of holy stories
in stamp form
what suprises me is that the pictures are almost complete
st veronica is missing her legs
to get a stamp one had to attend sunday school
and so I count the stamps
and learn that for nine months two weeks
I was a regular attender

it is surprising because as I remember
I stopped going when the vicar shouted at me
for leaning through the choir stalls
to wave at my mother

......

I mention this because one of my great regrets
is that I have never found expression for my faith
which I do have
I could bore you
and perhaps have myself certified
by the time an angel appeared to me
filling me with the holy spirit
a blue iridescence
there I'm mad
but no more than the smiliness of christians
and the insistence that we share my private space
instead of simply acknowledging
and respecting love

......

oh I'm sure I'll be forgiven for wasting my talents
for keeping my coat
for removing the plank from eye
- yes I know it's splinter -

after all I do have a hopeless faith in god
how could I not after seeing an angel
who came in response
to my singing the 23rd psalm

......

No comments:

Post a Comment