26/03/2015

#poem #poetry #amwriting #sketchbook

it's that dreaded question 'what do you do'
personally I have always prefered
'have you been to dawlish'
or 'how's it hanging'
they are just as informative
and tell one a great deal more about a person
than how they fill their days

of course the question being asked is
'are you a useful person to me'
and like grammar and punctuation in the written word
    or lack of it
    or it's incorrect usage
        it is an excuse not to engage

scared as I am about my teeth rotting
   and no longer being about to eat french bread
   the advantage is that I am no longer asked
      for the coffee fuming from my pores
      the brown finger stains
      and the inability to maintain eye contact
      is far more informative of what I do
         than launching into exchanges about costumer service
         tricky big ends
         or the time I made a bit on the side tarmacing a driveway
         with contraband bitumen meant for the bypass

all of which I enjoy hearing from others
for there really is nothing more delightful
than asking 'what do you drink'
and waiting

either before or after
you discover an unexpected passion for voltaire
from someone you discover is a municipal gardener

No comments:

Post a Comment